Jeffrey R. Matsen
AREA OF PRACTICE
Business formations and transactional matters, estate planning, asset protection, probate, tax, real estate and international law.
Over the past 30 years, Mr. Matsen has provided legal services to a myriad of individuals and business entities in setting up and organizing partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies and drafting the various legal documents relative thereto. In this regard, Mr. Matsen is intimately familiar with buy/sell agreements, shareholder agreements, buying and selling businesses, business dissolutions and representing public companies. Mr. Matsen also has an extensive background in taxation, real estate, estate planning, probate and asset protection law and setting up and representing international businesses. He has represented a multitude of both individual and business clients with respect to business and real estate transactions and has prepared hundreds of sophisticated estate plans.
LEGAL & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- State Bar of California (Member Section on: Trusts and Probate);
- American Bar Association (Member Section on: Asset Protection Planning);
- Certified in Business Appraisal by Professional Certification Board;
- Member, The Offshore Institute, Member of WealthCounsel.
Brigham Young University (B.A., cum laude 1964). University of California at Los Angeles (J.D., 1967 highest honors, Order of the Coif). Captain United States Marine Corps (Judge Advocate and Military Judge, 1968 - 1971); Languages: speaks fluent Portuguese.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Matsen was employed as an associate attorney by the Los Angeles law firm of Musick, Peeler & Garrett. After serving a three-year tour of duty in the United States Marine Corps as a Judge Advocate and Military Judge with the rank of Captain, Mr. Matsen joined the Newport Beach law firm of Westover, Currey & Matsen in 1971. When that firm was dissolved in 1976, he established his own practice. From October 1999 to December of 2000, Mr. Matsen was employed as Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of Universal Broadband Networks where he was responsible for the preparation and filing of the entire Application process resulting in a listing on the NASDAQ National Market and oversaw every aspect of the Company's legal and SEC matters. Mr. Matsen has been a Professor of Law at Western State University College of Law in Fullerton where he taught for more than 16 years. He has also been a faculty member for the Golden Gate University Graduate School of Taxation and Adjunct Professor of Law at Chapman University School of Law in Orange, California. He has lectured extensively before professional and lay groups and is the author of the Chapter, "Formulating Buy/Sell Agreements and Valuing Closely Held Stock" in the wildly circulated Mathew Bender Publication, California Closely Held Corporations. He is the co-author of Selecting and Forming Business Entities in California, Family Limited Partnerships, and Partnerships, LLCs and LLPs: Organization and Operation published by Lorman Education Services and Asset Protection Techniques in California published by the National Business Institute.
Mr. Matsen is married and the father of seven children.
Areas of Practice
- Business Formations
- Transactional Matters
- Estate Planning
- Asset Protection
- Real Estate
- International Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified in Business Appraisal, Professional Certification Board
- California, 1968
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1974
- U.S. Tax Court, 1972
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1967
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Brigham Young University
- B.A. (Cum Laude) - 1964
- "Formulating Buy/Sell Agreements and Valuing Closely Held Stock"
- Selecting and Forming Business Entities in California, Family Limited Partnerships, and Partnerships, LLCs and LLPs: Organization and Operation (Co-Author), Lorman Education Services
- Asset Protection Techniques in California, National Business Institute
- Western State University College of Law, Professor of Law
- Faculty Member, Golden Gate University Graduate School of Taxation
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Chapman University School of Law, Orange, California
Honors and Awards
- "Top 100 Attorneys" by Worth Magazine
- "Southern California's Super Lawyers" by Los Angeles Magazine
- Highest Rating for Competency and Ethics by Martindale Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California, Trusts and Probate Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Asset Protection Planning Section, Member
- The Offshore Institute, Member of WealthCounsel, Member
Past Employment Positions
- United States Marine Corps, Captain, Judge Advocate and Military Judge, 1968 - 1971
- Musick, Peeler & Garrett, Associate
- Westover, Currey & Matsen, 1971 - 1976
- Universal Broadband Networks, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, 1999 - 2000
- Bohm, Matsen, Kegel & Aguilera LLP, Partner
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Orange County's Center Club
- Member, President's Business Advisory Council
- Member, Board of Counselors of the Orange County Symphony Orchestra
- Member, Southern California Institutes Laureate Circle
- Member, Board of Directors of the Harbor Area Boys and Girls Clubs